| poetry society home | landmarks home | search | contact |
 

Poetry Landmarks

Faringdon House, Oxfordshire

 

(Associated Place)

Details:

In 1780 Henry James Pye built the current Faringdon House near the original site, north of All Saints Church. The original one burnt down just after Pye's father died, leaving him huge quantities of debt. However, things soon improved and Pye not only became an MP for Berkshire, a police magistrate for Westminster, but was also Poet Laureate from 1790-1813 during the reign of 'Mad' King George III.

Contact Information

address:
Faringdon House
Faringdon
Oxfordshire

234

 

 
Poetry Society 2003
Information from this website can be copied for private and personal use. All and any other reproduction is expressly prohibited, unless it is authorised in writing in advance by the Poetry Society.